05 May 2010

[mail archive] evilvte WM_CLASS=unknown

calebjoined: 2007-09-22
posted: 570
promoted: 108
bookmarked: 84
1subject: [mail archive] evilvte WM_CLASS=unknown
2008-08-14

Hi,
I'm a Gentoo user and I've installed evilvte. So far it seems to be a
great terminal but when I use xprop to get some info about it I see that:

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "", ""

and I think this might be the reason why cairo-dock isn't matching the
evilvte icon in the taskbar with the evilvte launcher.
I don't know if this is a local problem or if the eviltvte really
doesn't have a wm_class defined. If it is the later, could you please
solve it?

Thanks,
*****
edited: 1
calebjoined: 2007-09-22
posted: 570
promoted: 108
bookmarked: 84
2subject:
2008-08-14
***** wrote:
> WM_CLASS(STRING) = "", ""
Thank you for the bug report. :-)
I have tried gtk_window_set_wmclass but failed to set it. :-(
I plan to fix it in evilvte 0.4.4.
> and I think this might be the reason why cairo-dock isn't matching the
> evilvte icon in the taskbar with the evilvte launcher.

I can not get this.
Do you have a screenshot?
My evilvte launcher on cairo-dock showed the correct icon, "a terminal
with >_ prompt".
My jwm taskbar also showed the same evilvte icon.
Kind regards
  Wen-Yen Chuang (caleb)
calebjoined: 2007-09-22
posted: 570
promoted: 108
bookmarked: 84
3subject:
2008-08-14

Wen-Yen Chuang wrote:
> ***** wrote:
> > WM_CLASS(STRING) = "", ""
>
> Thank you for the bug report. :-)
> I have tried gtk_window_set_wmclass but failed to set it. :-(
> I plan to fix it in evilvte 0.4.4.
>
> > and I think this might be the reason why cairo-dock isn't matching the
> > evilvte icon in the taskbar with the evilvte launcher.
>
> I can not get this.
> Do you have a screenshot?
>
> My evilvte launcher on cairo-dock showed the correct icon, "a terminal
> with >_ prompt".
> My jwm taskbar also showed the same evilvte icon.
>
> Kind regards
>  Wen-Yen Chuang (caleb)
>

Hi, sorry for not responding sooner but I lost my internet connection
for a few days.
I'm attaching a screenshot were you can see that because I didn't made a
launcher for gimp and gvim, their icons appear as normal in the
cairo-dock taskbar, but in the case of Firefox, since it has a launcher
icon, that launcher "steals" the icons from the taskbar. This is what I
would like to happen with evilvte, but instead I have two icons, one for
the launcher and another in the taskbar.
Also I would like to ask if you could add a feature to allow evilvte to
open in a folder, so that when I'm using pcman file manager and choose
the option "open in terminal" it launches evilvte with that folder
instead of "/home/*****".
Another good feature but not very important would be the ability to
rearrange tabs.
I'm really enjoying your terminal and hope you'll keep improving it,
despite the fact that it's already the best terminal I've ever used as
it is now!

Cheers,
*****


edited: 2 
calebjoined: 2007-09-22
posted: 570
promoted: 108
bookmarked: 84
4subject:
2008-08-14
***** wrote:
> This is what I
> would like to happen with evilvte, but instead I have two icons, one for
> the launcher and another in the taskbar.

Ah, I see.
Before fixing the WM_CLASS issue, I think you can replace the evilvte
icon with what you like.
For example, it is "/usr/share/pixmaps/evilvte.png" in Debian.
I will fix WM_CLASS problem, of course.
> Also I would like to ask if you could add a feature to allow evilvte to
> open in a folder, so that when I'm using pcman file manager and choose
> the option "open in terminal" it launches evilvte with that folder
> instead of "/home/*****".

Default folder is $PWD where calls evilvte.
For example, run evilvte in / will make the new evilvte's default path
in /.
I will try pcmanfm to see how to do it. I guess I have to support an
environment variable or a new command line option.
> Another good feature but not very important would be the ability to
> rearrange tabs.

It has been supported in 0.4.4~pre2, the "TAB_REORDERABLE" option.
Gentoo did not merge all evilvte options to its ebuild system,
so you still have to edit src/config.h.
> I'm really enjoying your terminal and hope you'll keep improving it,
> despite the fact that it's already the best terminal I've ever used as
> it is now!

Thank you!
I will keep improving evilvte.
There are still a lot of features in my TODO list. :-)
Kind regards
 Wen-Yen Chuang (caleb)
calebjoined: 2007-09-22
posted: 570
promoted: 108
bookmarked: 84
5subject:
2008-08-16
Wen-Yen Chuang wrote:
> ***** wrote:
>> Also I would like to ask if you could add a feature to allow evilvte to
>> open in a folder, so that when I'm using pcman file manager and choose
>> the option "open in terminal" it launches evilvte with that folder
>> instead of "/home/*****".
> I will try pcmanfm to see how to do it. I guess I have to support an
> environment variable or a new command line option.

Mmmm, I have tried thunar, which supports "Open Terminal Here".
It works fine with evilvte, and the $PWD is correct.
I think it is pcmanfm's duty to provide something like
"Open Terminal Here".
If I misunderstand it, feel free to tell me. :-)
Kind regards
  Wen-Yen Chuang (caleb)
calebjoined: 2007-09-22
posted: 570
promoted: 108
bookmarked: 84
6subject:
2008-08-16

Wen-Yen Chuang wrote:
> Wen-Yen Chuang wrote:
> > ***** wrote:
> >> Also I would like to ask if you could add a feature to allow evilvte to
> >> open in a folder, so that when I'm using pcman file manager and choose
> >> the option "open in terminal" it launches evilvte with that folder
> >> instead of "/home/*****".
> > I will try pcmanfm to see how to do it. I guess I have to support an
> > environment variable or a new command line option.
>
> Mmmm, I have tried thunar, which supports "Open Terminal Here".
> It works fine with evilvte, and the $PWD is correct.
>
> I think it is pcmanfm's duty to provide something like
> "Open Terminal Here".
>
> If I misunderstand it, feel free to tell me. :-)
>
> Kind regards
> Wen-Yen Chuang (caleb)


pcmanfm provides a "Open Terminal Here" but it always open evilvte in
"/home/*****".
But if it works in thunar then a guess that it must be a pcmanfm
problem, so I already contacted pcmanfm dev to see if he can solve it.
Also, do you think it's possible to make evilvte show what it's doing in
the name of the window like in this screenshot of xfce terminal?
Thanks,
*****


calebjoined: 2007-09-22
posted: 570
promoted: 108
bookmarked: 84
7subject:
2008-08-16
***** wrote:
> Also, do you think it's possible to make evilvte show what it's doing in
> the name of the window like in this screenshot of xfce terminal?

It is in my TODO list, but is not in high priority. :-P
Kind regards
  Wen-Yen Chuang (caleb)
calebjoined: 2007-09-22
posted: 570
promoted: 108
bookmarked: 84
8subject:
2008-08-18
Asking pcmanfm's author didn't help... :-(

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: add evilvte support to pcmanfm and path buttons
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 00:37:02 +0800
From: ?????
To: *****
References: *****



Bug report to evilvte's author.
Opening current working dir is the bahavior of almost all other terminals.
If it doesn't, that's a usability bug.

2008/8/16 *****:
> Hi,
> Could you add evilvte terminal to the list of pcmanfm? I can insert it
> manually but when a use "open in terminal F4" it doesn't open in the
> correct $PWD, it always open in "/home/*****".
> Also could you add path buttons like thunar and perhaps an option to toggle
> them? I hope I'm not asking to much.
>
> Thanks,
> *****
>
calebjoined: 2007-09-22
posted: 570
promoted: 108
bookmarked: 84
9subject:
2008-08-18
***** wrote:
> Asking pcmanfm's author didn't help... :-(

I checked pcmanfm's source and find a way to support it. :-)
You can apply the patch below to gentoo's evilvte or wait for next
release.

Kind regards
  Wen-Yen Chuang (caleb)

--- evilvte-0.4.4~pre3.orig/src/sakura.c
+++ evilvte-0.4.4~pre3/src/sakura.c
@@ -59,7 +59,7 @@
 #endif

  #ifndef DEFAULT_DIRECTORY
-#define DEFAULT_DIRECTORY g_getenv("PWD")
+#define DEFAULT_DIRECTORY g_get_current_dir()
  #endif

  #ifndef RECORD_LASTLOG
calebjoined: 2007-09-22
posted: 570
promoted: 108
bookmarked: 84
10subject:
2008-08-18

Wen-Yen Chuang wrote:
> ***** wrote:
> > Asking pcmanfm's author didn't help... :-(
>
> I checked pcmanfm's source and find a way to support it. :-)
> You can apply the patch below to gentoo's evilvte or wait for next
> release.
>
> Kind regards
> Wen-Yen Chuang (caleb)
>
> --- evilvte-0.4.4~pre3.orig/src/sakura.c
> +++ evilvte-0.4.4~pre3/src/sakura.c
> @@ -59,7 +59,7 @@
> #endif
>
> #ifndef DEFAULT_DIRECTORY
> -#define DEFAULT_DIRECTORY g_getenv("PWD")
> +#define DEFAULT_DIRECTORY g_get_current_dir()
> #endif
>
> #ifndef RECORD_LASTLOG

It worked, thanks a lot!!! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment